Real World Experience for NESCom’s Graphic Designers

12695194_10209274377363633_1492738798_o                                  Hunter Clark works diligently on his project

By Konnor Newton, Student Journalist

As part of their curriculum, students enrolled in the New England School of Communication’s Graphic Design II class are working with various real world clients. They’ll be designing posters, programs and brochures for non profits in the Bangor area throughout the semester. The first round of projects being produced are for the Color Bangor, color run that takes place in March to raise money for the American Folk Festival; as well as the Bangor Area Children’s Choir.

The students split up into groups to tackle the different projects and design aspects. Using industry standard design programs they designed and produced individual samples that were then critiqued by the class. The students are now going back to work to touch up their work. All of the pieces will be presented to the clients and one will be chosen and published. Input about front color choices, object spacing and the overall reflection of the clients needs were all shared in a productive and professional manner.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for us to learn what graphic design work, or real world graphic design work is like.” Says Hunter Clark, a Marketing Major at NESCom “For someone like me who’s actually planning to do this kind of thing for a living, I’d say it’s crucial.” Clark is working on the BACC brochure. He explained that in his prior graphic design class they were producing work for made up companies, which had its benefits but it’s a completely different experience creating work that will be on display to the community. However, Clark also explained that this client relationship comes with the real world experience of the customer’s always right. “It’s definitely a little… challenging, when someone asks to have something designed for them, and then lays out a bunch requirements and content that don’t necessarily go together well to meet their visual or aesthetic needs.”

Many students in the class are in the marketing communications program and are planning to enter a job field that relies heavily on visual communication through graphic design. These projects will be a vital part of student’s portfolios. Projects including: posters for the upcoming production of Jesus Christ Superstar coming to the Gracie, a logo design for the Black Box Theatre and design work for the world renowned American Folk Festival held every summer at the Bangor Waterfront. Some of these projects have the potential to be viewed by thousands of people.

Scott McKenna is a Senior Business Marketing major at Husson. He explains how refreshing it is him to receive this hands on experience “The Husson program’s been great. But it’s been more about the theoretical stuff, more business, and understanding the numbers and the statistical side of marketing.” He adds that “It’s been nice to take some NESCom classes and do some real hands-on work.”

The student’s graphic design work will be made public in the coming months. So keep an eye out for some of the creative graphic design talents the students of NESCom have to offer, on display around the Bangor Community and in some cases the entire state of Maine.