Country star Canaan Smith to perform at Husson’s Gracie Theatre

Photo courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

Photo courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

By: Chris Czachor, Student Journalist

BANGOR- The Gracie Theatre, located on the Husson University campus, will play host to it’s biggest show of the year on April 7 when breakout country music star Canaan Smith comes to Bangor.

Tickets for his April show at the Gracie will go on sale to the public on Friday, February 26th for a shockingly low price of $20. Husson University students can purchase tickets for an even lower price of $10 starting Tuesday, February 23rd. Director of Student Activities, Sterling Pingree, is excited to provide an opportunity for students to see a big name artist at a small, intimate venue for such an affordable price.

“It is very cool to see large acts in small venues. It’s a unique experience and not to sound corny, but I’m doing this for the students,” Said Pingree.

Although the Gracie Theatre is a small venue located on a college campus, it has played host to its fair share of notable acts. In fact, Canaan Smith will not be the first country star to come to College Circle. In a one span between February 2013 and February 2014 Lee Brice, Tyler Farr, and Craig Campbell all performed separately at the Gracie Theatre.

“One of the coolest concerts I’ve ever seen, and this might be my favorite was when we had Lee Brice here 3 years ago. The mixture of his performance and the intimacy of the venue was incredible. It gave the show an amazing feel, a true experience and that’s what we’re trying to replicate here with Canaan Smith on April 7th,” said Pingree.

Smith first made his name in the country music world when his single “We Got Us” debuted in January 2012. The song peaked at 44 on the Country Music Billboard. Not long after his first single, Smith was at it again with “Love You Like That”. The song came out in July of 2014 and proved to be Smith’s biggest hit yet. By August of the following year, it had reached first place in the Country Airplay chart.

Smith released his self-titled EP in March of 2015, and came out with more music quickly as his first studio album, “Bronco”, was released in June. The album peaked at 29th on the US Billboard 200 chart, and featured Smith’s singles “Love You Like That” and “ Hole In a Bottle.” Smith has toured with Darius Rucker, Dierks Bentley, and Florida Georgia Line. He has also recorded with Cole Swindell and Jason Aldean, among many others.

Smith was born in Williamsburg, Virginia in 1982. After graduating high school, he moved to the country music capital of the world, Nashville Tennessee, to attend Belmont University and pursue his music career. Smith was also a contestant in the 15th season of The Amazing Race.
Whether you are a die-hard country music fan or you are just looking for a good time, you’ll want to make sure that you are at the Gracie Theatre on April 7 when Canaan Smith comes to town. To purchase tickets or find more information, visit http://www.gracietheatre.com