Husson Journalists visit Maine Red Claws

By: Nick Blaszczak, Student Journalist

Crusher

NESCom Director of Journalism Jeff Hope gets a visit from ‘Crusher’ during the Maine Red Claws game on February 25. Image Courtesy: NESCom Journalism, Facebook

BANGOR – On February 25, the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) at Husson University gathered to make the trip down to Portland, Maine. Six students and two journalism directors piled into a van to begin the excursion to the Maine Red Claws. The night featured insight, laughs, snubs, and prizes.

Upon arrival at the Portland Expo, students were greeted by Red Claws’ Director of Public and Community Relations Evans Boston. A former sports anchor and reporter, Boston provided students with insight on the day-to-day operations of being a public relations director. Boston noted that the job can be hectic on game days but he wouldn’t trade a job in sports for the world. From managing social media accounts, to writing press releases, even scheduling availability for reporters to talk with players, public relation directors have numerous responsibilities.

Boston introduced students to the voice of the Red Claws, Chris Sedenka, who exclaimed that he’s the one who has it made.

“I get the best seats in the house, call the game on the radio, and grab maybe an interview or two and I’m out of here. Meanwhile Evans will be here for another four hours or so,” said Sedenka.

The play-by-play announcer offered students a unique opportunity to sit-in during the game in place of color commentator Rick Simonds. Sedenka said Simonds was on the DL (disabled list) and extended the invitation out to students eager to gain behind-the-scenes information on how radio broadcasts function. Students jumped at the opportunity and began cycling in and out of the booth over the course of the game.

Following the conversation and tour by Boston, students had an hour to mill around before the game tipped off. Director of Sports Journalism Toby Nelson hinted for students to grab an iconic Portland Expo figurine commemorating the venue’s 100th year. The porcelain collectible was given away to the first 1,000 fans. The promotional item further added to the students’ experience and anticipation of the game.

During the game, students and instructors shared a host of laughs in seeing the excitement and reactions of others. Especially, when the Red Claws’ mascot paid a visit into the stands. ‘Crusher’ stopped by multiple times teasing students with potential rewards.

In his first visit, Crusher made his way to section two with a pizza for one lucky fan. Students began waving their arms erratically in hopes of obtaining the pie. Sensing the students wanted the pizza, Crusher leisurely made his way past their row while making constant eye contact. The tease would only get worse from there on out.

In his second visit, Crusher was awarding one lucky fan four tickets to the Portland Sea Dogs. As if the first tease weren’t enough, Crusher made it a point to return to the students’ section. The Red Claw walked down the aisle and shook Adam Robinson’s hand, who stood up in jubilation, only to walk away and give the tickets to someone else. The coldhearted move generated feelings of resentment to start that progressively changed to good natured ribbing as the night went on.

In his third and final visit to the students’ section, Crusher sat next to director of Journalism Jeff Hope and began typing furiously on his laptop. The unforeseen act generated a reaction from Hope (pictured above) that served as a conversation starter during the trip back to Husson.

While the early snubs proved to be a bit disheartening, students would walk away winners. In particular, Sports Journalist Alyssa Thurlow who hit the jackpot after being selected to participate in a promotional video. Thurlow competed in a layup, foul-shot, three-point contest with cash rewards for each of the shots that were completed. Thurlow only managed to nail the layup but still came away with over $200 dollars. Other students rejoiced in smaller victories such as receiving a shirt during the T-shirt toss, having experienced the radio broadcast with Sedenka, and for seeing the highest scoring game in Red Claw franchise history.

The Red Claws defeated the Delaware 87ers by a final tally of 138-131.