Joining the HU LAX Brotherhood

By Konnor Newton, Student Journalist

Over the past couple years the Husson men’s lacrosse team has seen its share of new faces; and with that, experienced their share of growing pains. As any student athlete will tell you, with the inevitable loss of upperclassmen the team dynamic and leadership style is bound fluctuate. This year however, very few key players have left the team, giving Husson the opportunity to solidify what appears to already be an already tight knit team.

Joining the ranks this season is freshman Thomas Hart, a physical therapy major hailing from Gilford, New Hampshire. There he played four years of high school lacrosse as attack. Harts says the biggest difference he’s seen as far as playing style is the fact that Husson’s strategy is based is based around utilizing the team’s strength as a whole. Whereas his high school team relied heavily on the stronger players to carry each game. Hart’s joined Husson playing midfield and says it’s been very easy to find his place on the team because of the brotherhood mentality the Husson men strive for.

“Everyone on the team is super supportive, and helpful. The guys definitely treat each other like family.”

Hart says the root of this kinship is based in the idea that respect begets respect. He says he joined the team with the mentality that he wanted to learn from the older guys and therefore he always makes a point of listening to and respecting all of the members of the team. Just as he expects to be treated as he becomes an upperclassman. Brett Martin a senior midfielder speaks to this,

“Tom gets along with everyone, he’s definitely a man of the people. You know, the guy you see around in the community is the guy he is when no one’s watching.”

Martin says Hart is the prime example of the positive attitude all the three of the new freshman are bringing to the team. Having gone through the transition from high school to collegiate athlete himself, Martin explains the games are a lot more intense and a lot faster pace. He says, Hart is aware he’s going to be put in circumstances he’s not necessarily going to be comfortable with, but has so far met every challenge head on. Which is right in the line with the Husson lacrosse mentality of knuckling down and playing every game from the heart.

Although the team’s off to a bit of a rocky start, winning only 1 of the past 5 games. Both athletes spoke to the fact that the team is gaining their bearings, and now solidifying the cohesive game play they’ve been working on throughout the season. The Husson men are headed to Vermont this weekend, facing off against Johnson State College.