Monster Trucks set to roar in Bangor

By: Nick Blaszczak, Student Journalist

Slide 1

Monster Trucks and dirt bikes rip through the Cross Insurance Center for a weekend full of adrenaline-packed action. Photo Courtesy: Cross Insurance Center

BANGOR – The Monster Truck Destruction Tour is stopping at the Cross Insurance Center on April 8th through April 10th for a weekend full of car-crushing, engines roaring, freestyle action. The 10,000 pound goliaths roll into Bangor for three adrenaline-fueled shows.

The Monster Trucks will endure multiple heats including races, wheelie contests, and free roam competitions. Drivers will show off their skills in hopes of being crowned champion. Bigfoot, Lumberjack, Beast, Son of Beast, and Maine’s own Crushstation are slated to charge through the arena.

Crushstation, coined the ‘Monstah Lobstah’, is driven by Greg Winchenbach who began taking the red ‘shellfish’ through full seasons of Monster Jam in 2010. Winchenbach started crafting the Monster Truck in 1999 but after a series of delays didn’t finish the project until late 2009. Being a Maine native, people associated him with lobster. Winchenbach and his team sat down and came up with the fitting name Crushstation.

According to Heather Nichols, of Monster Jam, Winchenbach says the ‘lobstah’ has become a fan favorite.

“Besides Crushstation, everyone is doing the ‘monstah lobstah.’ [Fans] all come up doing [lobster hands] to me now, the signs have been awesome… to have this kind of support, it’s an amazing deal,” said Winchenbach.

Spectators that purchase a VIP Pass will have the opportunity to meet Winchenbach and the rest of the drivers prior to the show. Benefits of the all access pass also include an autograph pit party, a chance to see the trucks up close and to go for a spin in one of the mammoth metal machines.

Freestyle Motocross riders will be revving alongside Monster Trucks to take the high-flying action to the next level. Motocross performers will be pulling off death defying stunts to astonish the audience. Cliffhangers, double grabs, superman seat grabs, and backflips are all in store for those in attendance.

VIP tickets can be bought for $37, standard $27, and kids admission is $12. Passes can be purchased online or at the Cross Insurance Center. For more information regarding pricing and seating, visit the Monster Truck Destruction Tour event page.

Incepted in the fall of 2009, the Monster Truck Destruction Tour prides itself on providing quality, safe, family entertainment. With three decades in the field, owner of Monster Truck Entertainment, Danny Torgerson’s extensive knowledge of the industry allows the Destruction Tour to excel.

The Monster Trucks tear through Bangor beginning on Friday April 8th at 7:30 p.m., pit party kicks off at 6:00 p.m. and ends at 7:00 p.m. The Destruction Tour continues Saturday night at 7:30 p.m., pit party from 6:00-7:00 p.m. The motorsports entertainment wraps up on Sunday with matinee action. The final show begins at 2:00 p.m. with the pit party from 12:30-1:30 p.m.

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready to start your engines for a trip to the Cross Insurance Center.